Checklist of items to keep in your vehicle in winter
We are no strangers to winter storms and icy roads here at Buy Direct Truck Centre. We know that all of our customers have to drive in the same weather conditions as us, and we want to make sure that everyone stays safe this winter. We can’t control the weather, but we can help you prepare with our checklist of items to keep in your vehicle in winter. These items could make all the difference if your car gets stuck or runs off the road on some ice. Keep reading below to learn what items you should keep in your car in winter.
Essential items for dealing with snow
If you live in Kelowna, you should already know that winter tires are a mandatory precaution against winter conditions. The rest of these items are not mandatory, but we think you would be crazy to skip on them. They will make all the difference when your vehicle is covered in snow or ice.
- Ice scraper with snow brush
- Collapsible shovel
- Winter gear such as gloves, hats, scarves, and boots
- Kitty litter in case your vehicle gets stuck in your driveway (the litter adds traction to the ground, spread it behind tires)
- Sunglasses to protect your eyes from the reflecting sun
Learn More: How to prepare your tires for winter
Items to help in an emergency
These next items might not be used in your day-to-day life, but they can come in handy if you get stranded.
- Jumper cables
- Reflectors and flares to alert other drivers
- Basic tool kit
- Water and snacks
- Portable phone charger
- Batteries for the phone charger and flashlight
Lastly, remember to keep your vehicle up to par with regular maintenance checks and a fuel tank that is always above half full, to prevent the fuel from freezing.
Learn More: Do you need a four-wheel drive truck?